When conducting interview coaching, I am often asked by individuals about how they can deal with their nerves during a job interview.
- Have an introduction to your response, finishing it off with a concluding remark.
- If you have a glass of water in front of you, take regular sips before responding.
- Slow down your responses – don’t feel you need to rush your answer.
- Emphasise certain points, stress certain parts of what you are saying, then take a pause – this helps buy you some breathing space and will also encourage them to really meditate and digest on what you are saying and trying to get across.
- Thoroughly prepare, prepare, prepare for your interview before hand.
- Get an early nights rest before the day of your interview.
- Arrive early to the employer’s location and take the time to sit down and relax.
- Read through the job description before your interview and really think about how your skills and experience match with what they are asking for. By having a good understanding of what they are after, you will hopefully feel more confident in yourself and feel less of a surprise when questions are asked of you.